Allianz Climate Risk Research Award
About the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award
Launched in 2017, the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award acknowledges and rewards young scientists whose works shed light on the nexus between climate change and the extreme weather events that threaten millions of livelihoods and present ways these populations could be better protected. It targets PhD candidates and Post-Doctoral researchers whose research focuses on:
- Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change;
- Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
Applications are usually received from all over the world. Ten candidates are shortlisted by a jury and their work is published in a Compendium. Out of the ten, four are invited to Munich, Germany, to present their research at the awards ceremony.
In addition to having all expenses paid for, all four finalists received cash prizes, ranging from EUR2,000 to EUR7,000 to support their research.
Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies.
Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience.
Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution.
Sound research approach and methodology.
Interested in knowing more?
Watch the video from our 2020 award ceremony here.
- Call for papers – 15.06.2021
- Deadline – 15.09.2021
- Four finalists announced – 17.10.2021
- Award event – TBA
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology
- A jury of experts, drawn from industry and academic, select the recipients
- Application form, signed declaration form, essay based on research and letter of recommendation must be sent by the deadline
- University students currently pursuing either a PhD degree or a post-doc, as well as recent PhD graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be more than two years before the time of the application)
- Research applicable to focus and topic of Award
- Completed application
- Supporting documents consists of:
- Two-page non-technical essay based on their research
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate's academic mentor
- Filled and signed declaration
- We welcome the four finalists to travel to Munich-Germany for the Award's event. Allianz Re will cover all travel costs (please refer to )
- Eagerness to be part of internal and external communication around the Award (e.g. interviews)